Does The General Have Good SR-22 Insurance?
Last Updated on August 30, 2023
Most drivers are satisfied with The General’s SR-22 insurance, finding the company offers competitive prices and the amenities of a larger firm.
Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about The General’s SR-22 insurance and how it works.
At a Glance:
- The General specializes in high-risk auto insurance and offers SR-22 insurance, a certificate verifying you have valid insurance coverage, in many states across the U.S.
- Most drivers find The General’s SR-22 insurance competitively priced and appreciate the amenities typical of a larger insurance firm.
- The General offers multiple types of SR-22 insurance, including ordinary SR-22, non-owner SR-22, and FR-44 insurance, catering to various needs of high-risk drivers.
- While The General has mixed online reviews, it generally scores well in affordability and coverage options, making it a popular choice for SR-22 insurance.
How SR-22 Insurance Works With The General
Most states use an SR-22 system to manage high-risk drivers. The SR-22 is not technically insurance; it’s a certificate verifying you have insurance.
When you buy “SR-22 insurance” from The General, you’re buying insurance coverage from The General, and the company is submitting an SR-22 form to your state DMV on your behalf. The SR-22 verifies you have valid insurance coverage, enabling you to get back on the road and legally drive.
As with most SR-22 insurance providers, The General provides limited coverage for SR-22 policyholders. Your SR-22 insurance may only come with liability coverage, for example, to allow you to resume driving legally. Some states also have special requirements for SR-22 insurance – like higher limits and additional coverages.
You may need to file an SR-22 after letting car insurance lapse, causing an accident, getting a DUI, or receiving multiple citations in a short period. Typically, drivers must submit the SR-22 certificate for three to five years before they can rejoin the ordinary auto insurance marketplace.
The General SR-22 Insurance Benefits
Some of the benefits of buying SR-22 insurance from The General include:
- Well-known car insurance company specializing in high-risk auto insurance policies
- Range of SR-22 options, including non-owner SR-22 insurance and FR-44 insurance
- Strong reviews online
- Covers thousands of high-risk drivers and SR-22 drivers across the United States
- Available in most states
- Available to most drivers and types of vehicles
The General Offers Multiple Types of SR-22 Insurance
The General is a nonstandard car insurance company specializing in insuring high-risk drivers across the United States.
Many policyholders with The General must file SR-22 certificates to reinstate their license or regain their driving privileges.
To help drivers, The General offers multiple types of SR-22 insurance, including:
SR-22 Insurance: The General offers ordinary SR-22 insurance. You buy an insurance policy with The General, and that policy includes liability coverage and optional coverage for your own vehicle (like collision and comprehensive coverage). Once The General has submitted the SR-22 certificate to the DMV on your behalf, the DMV can verify you have valid insurance coverage, allowing you to resume driving your own vehicle.
Non-Owner SR-22 Insurance: The General also offers non-owner SR-22 insurance. If you want to reinstate your license and driving privileges but do not own a vehicle, then you might buy non-owner SR-22 insurance through The General. This policy includes liability coverage when driving most vehicles – like rental cars or a friend’s vehicle. It acts as secondary insurance. Non-owner SR-22 insurance is much cheaper because it doesn’t cover an underlying vehicle and you’re expected to drive less frequently.
FR-44 Insurance: The General also offers FR-44 insurance in some states. Some states, including Florida and Virginia, use an FR-44 insurance system to manage high-risk drivers. FR-44 insurance tends to be more expensive than SR-22 insurance, but it functions in a similar way. You buy liability coverage to meet your state’s minimum requirements, and The General files an SR-22 certificate to the DMV on your behalf.
How Much Does SR-22 Insurance Cost with The General?
The average SR-22 insurance policy from The General costs $60 to $200 per month, depending on any factors.
The cost of The General car insurance varies widely from state to state. Generally, The General charges higher rates for less coverage than competing insurance companies because the company specializes in insuring high-risk drivers – including drivers who need SR-22 insurance.
If you’re a high-risk driver with a long history of at-fault accidents and citations, then you could spend thousands per year on SR-22 insurance from The General – especially if you live in a state with strict insurance requirements and higher-than-average premiums.
For most customers who need standard SR-22 insurance from The General, however, you can expect to spend $60 to $200 per month to get covered.
In addition to monthly premiums, you’ll need to pay an SR-22 insurance fee. The General includes the SR-22 insurance fee with your quote. This is the cost of submitting the SR-22 form to your DMV. It varies from state to state but typically costs $15 to $50.
The General SR-22 Insurance Reviews
Does The General have good SR-22 insurance? Should you buy SR-22 insurance from The General? What do real drivers have to say about The General’s SR-22 insurance?
Like most high-risk auto insurance companies, The General has mixed reviews online. The company specializes in insuring high-risk drivers, providing them with basic protection to get back on the road. They’re not known for their wide-ranging coverage or luxurious insurance policies.
Here are some of the reviews and ratings for The General found online today:
- WalletHub has an average score of 4.1 stars out of 5 for The General based on 3,000+ reviews. Although not all reviewers buy SR-22 insurance from The General, many reviewers found The General was the cheapest in their area for SR-22 coverage.
- Many customers buy The General because of its brand recognition. They know they’re getting the experience of a big insurance company. Other high-risk auto insurance companies are not as well-known and may not offer the same level of service as The General.
- The General has an average score of 3.6 stars out of 5 on Consumer Affairs, with most reviewers giving the company a 4-star (34% of all reviewers) or 5-star (27%) rating. Customers like The Girl for its affordability and low down payments.
- The negative reviews for The General tend to come from people who have tried to cancel a policy early or struggled with a claim. The General charges a penalty for canceling a policy early, and they also make it difficult to cancel a policy in most states (you may need to mail a cancelation notice, for example). Some have also had a negative claim experience with The General – like receiving less for an accident than expected.
- The General has a 4.7 star score out of 5 on Trustpilot with 83,000+ reviews, giving it an “Excellent” rating overall. 81% of reviewers have given the company a 5-star rating. Although some customers have complained about poor customer service, most are impressed with The General’s SR-22 insurance pricing and overall coverage.
- The General has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and an average score of 4.41 stars out of 5, making it one of the best-rated major insurers overall on BBB.org. Many reviewers have expressed satisfaction with their SR-22 insurance and overall coverage from The General.
Ultimately, SR-22 insurance isn’t fancy, but The General offers competitively-priced coverage and the amenities of a larger insurer, making it the best choice for SR-22 insurance in many states.
The General is one of the biggest and best-known high-risk insurance companies in the United States.
Today, the Nashville-headquarters company continues to be one of the most popular SR-22 insurance providers in the country, insuring thousands of high-risk drivers across the United States.
If you’re looking for SR-22 insurance at a reasonable price, then The General could be one of the best options available to you.