High Risk Driver Insurance
New York is a dangerous place to drive. Our high population and busy roadways make driving a nightmare for some. It is no wonder that the state of New York constantly ranks as one of the most accident-prone states and also one of the highest states to insure your vehicle. If you have been made one of these accident or traffic violation statistics one too many times, you may now be considered a “high risk driver” to insurance companies. And if you are a high risk driver, then you probably know about how difficult it is for you to purchase insurance!
The reason why automobile insurers classify drivers into categories such as “high risk” and “low risk” is because they want to know how likely it is that they will make a claim. Car insurance companies in New York like insuring drivers with good driving records who pay their bills on time and never file claims. To them, these types of drivers are much less of a headache and cost less money.
Let’s take a deeper look into high risk auto insurance in the state of New York. Choose the topic you would like to read about below or continue scrolling down to read about auto insurance for high risk drivers from the beginning!
- How to find affordable auto insurance for high risk drivers in New York
- All about the state-run New York Automobile Insurance Plan
- How to improve your driving record and no longer be considered “high risk”
- Additional resources for high risk drivers in New York
Buying High Risk Auto Insurance In New York
If you have gotten into a bunch of accidents that are your fault, if you were convicted of a DUI or reckless driving, or if you have a lot of speeding tickets, however, insurance companies will not be too thrilled to accept your business. But that does not mean that insurance will be impossible for you to come by. Many insurance companies will still happily accept you as a customer (albeit usually for an expensive rate).
The first step in finding an insurance company that will accept your business is to scroll up to the top of this page and enter your zip code to get quotes from different New York auto insurance companies. By doing so, you will compare rates for high risk auto insurance from many different competitors so that you can choose the cheapest rate possible for yourself.
Unfortunately, for some New York residents, however, the average insurance company will still refuse to offer you coverage. Thankfully, as a New Yorker, there are still a bunch of options for you. Continue reading below to learn about them.
The New York Automobile Insurance Plan
If you are deemed to be too “high risk” that no other auto insurance company wants you, there is still hope. The New York Automobile Insurance Plan (NYAIP) will cover you. The NYAIP is a special insurance department in New York state that guarantees insurance coverage. Think of it as a “last resort” insurance plan for motorists who have been denied coverage due to too many accidents or traffic violations. If this sounds like yourself, you might want to give the NYAIP a call.
Be forewarned, however, getting insurance from the NYAIP should be a last-ditch effort. The coverage offered by the NYAIP is sub-par and is more expensive than the average rates. In 2012, the average NYAIP premium was listed at $2,283. It is basically a program to make sure that high risk drivers are given the option of having insurance so that they do not create an even bigger legal mess if they are forced to drive without it. As of this year, records show that over 90,000 New York residents get insurance through NYAIP.
How Can I Get Out Of The High Risk Pool?
If you do not want to be deemed as a “high risk driver,” as you obviously should, you should follow some simple steps.
- Don’t get traffic tickets or violations
- Don’t get into accidents
These things are probably pretty obvious to you. Safe driving leads to lower insurance rates. If you already made one too many mistakes, however, and you are considered to be a high-risk to insurance companies, how do you get out of it? How do you clear your good name?
Let’s take a look at some of these methods:
- Complete safe-driving or drivers-ed courses. You might think that these classes are for 16-year-old kids, but adults can re-take these courses to get points removed from their driving record and be put back into the good graces of insurance companies.
- Contest old traffic violations in court. If you believe you were unfairly charged with something, go back to court and fight it. Sometimes, even if the court does not support your claim, the judge might be nice and remove it from your driving record just for showing up in court!
- Apply for the “Point and Insurance Reduction Program” (PIRP). One of the many perks of being a New York resident is the many government services we have at our disposal. The Point and Insurance Reduction Program is a government-sponsored defensive driving class that you can take online. After enrolling at completion, you will receive a 10% discount on your auto insurance rates and get up to four points off of your New York driving record.
- If you are required to fill out an SR22 form (as many high risk drivers need), please view our guide on SR22 Insurance In New York.
- If your high risk auto insurance premiums are too high, check out our list of tips for lowering your insurance costs in the state of New York. Perhaps you can find some of those tips useful.